Thursday, April 30, 2009

Twitter me this, Twitter me that

I know, I broke up with Twitter months ago. It didn't last long. Only long enough for me to learn a little more about it and realize that we could compromise and have a relationship that was give and take; not all take.

Then Twitter went all hell-fire crazy with the whole Ashton Kutcher/CNN countdown to 1,000,000. I got drawn into it because of the charity aspect. I wanted to see what would happen. And I paid close attention to people going back and forth about how stupid it was, how big Ashton's ego is, how stupid it was for CNN to get involved in such a silly thing ... yadda, yadda, yadda. In the end, Malaria No More benefited and the lives of children were saved.

And people still had something to complain about. They were lives of children in another country that were saved, not lives here. PEOPLE! They are children. Does it matter where they are? Do they deserve less of a chance at life than children elsewhere?

Since the race to 1,000,000 is over, I have turned my attention to the fact that it reminds me a lot of high school. There are cliques everywhere. It's cool to follow certain people and if you don't ... well, you are nobody. It's not cool to follow certain people and if you do ... well, you are nobody and you are a fool. OH. MY. GOD. Can't we all just get along?

I mostly "follow" bloggers who I tend to read on a daily basis. I have a couple of friends that are on there as well. I "follow" Soliel Moonfrye. Yes, Punky freakin' Brewster. Because she is pretty damn cool and I found her on Twitter through her store, The Little Seed. I would totally shop at her store if I, 1) lived in LA and 2) made enough money to shop at her store!

So, in the eyes of many, I'm lame as shit because I'm following a celebrity. Because we all know that celebritites aren't people, right? Can I get an amen? They have nothing important to say and if you follow a celebrity you are a loser. That seems to be the general consensus of some and I find that completely ludicrous. Seriously? A celebrity couldn't possibly be planted in reality enough to have something to say that anyone who is not a celebrity could relate to!

I call bullshit. It seems to me that the few celebrity streams I have glanced at are actually interacting with the people that follow them. Maybe not everyone that is following, but honestly, how do you interact personally with 200,000 people? 1,000,000 people? It's impossible.

I think someone needs to come up with a Twitter manual. All of the Twitter elite should get together with their little # hashmarks that say secret club or something and write a damn manual. That way we can all follow the same rules and be just alike and all be one big happy family. Or Communist? Same thing, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home